Wednesday, September 3, 2014

the battle of the cleansing conditioners



Being that I've got some crazy curlage going on top of my head, I'm always about trying different products to tame them into submission. I've done a fair amount of research on how to best take care of them, I've even written a blog post here for your perusal! So since I've gotten the rules down, it's time to talk about the tools, aka the products!

It's become pretty common knowledge now that cleansing conditioners are the way to go. They supposedly clean your hair without stripping the oils essential for keeping hair (especially curly or coarse textures) moisturized and frizz-free. There are tons of cleansing conditioners out there from various price points and I've deemed myself your fluffy-haired guinea pig to save you some time, money and bad hair days. I've done the dirty work for you and picked three, one from each price point (drugstore, pricey, luxury) to review.


drugstore. Herbal Essences naked cleansing conditioner $4.99
Since this is the cheapest option of the three, you're going to get what you paid for. I'll say the pros first. It made my hair feel smooth and soft and had a pleasant smell that didn't linger. I actually repurchased it because it was such a good deal and I wanted to try the lavender scent. Sadly that's where the pros end. Now for the cons... I originally bought the one for colored hair but it didn't seem to hold my color that great at all (I recently box died my salon ombre to a darker brown). I used it for maybe a month and my color noticeably was fading. Although, I cant totally blame the conditioner because my previous ombre color was blonde so fading was expected, but it didn't help. Also dimethicone is a listed ingredient, which is a silicone-based chemical that adds a film over your hair to make it feel smoother and silkier. It's not that it's bad for you hair but it creates a greasy film buildup. The label says it's more of a treatment and shouldn't be used as a consistent product, which kind of defeats the point of replacing shampoo & conditioner, right?

pricey. DevaCurl no poo & one condition $40 (for both)
Now this duo I love. It is on the pricier side for both products combined, but I think it's of greatest value out of the three. The two 12 oz bottles lasted me about two months, which is amazing for my thick mane. I typically run out before the month ends, but you need so little of each product that it lasted me really well. The No Poo is a cleansing conditioner, and the One Condition is a daily conditioner. But get this, no silicones! It made my hair feel amazing instantly and never any greasy build-up. It's suggested that you use the products together and I always have, but knowing how great the No Poo made my hair feel, I would say that it would be fine alone for those with finer hair on the wavier side as opposed to coarser, curlier hair. For us, I would definitely say go for the one condition too. They sell small 9 oz. sample sizes too for $9 if you want to test it out.

luxury. Wen by Chaz Dean sweet almond mint cleansing conditioner $32
This is my more recent experiment. I've only bought this about two weeks ago. There are a lot of things I love about this product and it's certainly got a lot of hype around it. I've always wanted to try it and I watch a Chaz Dean hairstylist Anna Lee on youtube with her photog hubby Jesse. They make the cutest vlogs here (i'm obsessed). So that added a little fuel to my Wen fire. I bought the sweet almond scent ,which is supposed to be geared towards normal hair (not oily or dry). It smells wonderful and manages to linger for a long time without being annoying or overpowering. My hair felt super soft and my hair dried wonderfully without using any other product (just one pump of the conditioner as a leave-in). It does contain that silicone, but the people at Wen insist that as long as you massage it thoroughly into your scalp and rinse it out completely you wont get any film build-up, which I haven't. My only really complaint is that you have to use so much of the product per use. I have pretty long hair so it says to use 24 pumps.. that's just crazy to me. In three uses, half of the 16 oz. bottle is gone and for $32 a bottle, it's hard for me to justify. using Wen is supposed to reduce the amount of time you have to cleanse your hair, but still I'm not totally sold because of the price.

Phew! that was a lot of esplainin to do, but I just can't help myself! forgive meee.

So to round this all up: I would probably say Deva Curl is my favorite because it's cheaper, lasts longer, has no silicones & I haven't seen Wen do any better, except on the scent front. With Wen I don't need a styling cream like I do with the other two & it's one product instead of 2 or 3. Finally the Herbal Essences, I wouldn't recommend using it like the others but as more of a treatment, or to use it as a daily conditioner with a shampoo. But beware of the film build-up & use a clarifying shampoo every week-two weeks.

Well that's it then! Hope I helped a little to navigate the maze of cleansing conditioners out there. Let me know if you have any that you recommend. I'm always looks for new ones to try out!

ttyl :)
madeleine

No comments:

Post a Comment